Monday, September 14, 2009

Unagi

I have to say I love Unagi, probably more than I should, I have been spoiled when it comes to unagi however, I once befriended a Japanese man in a super market sushi stand who could barely speak english, according to him I was the only friend he had made in the entire 9 years or so he had lived in our country, He would frequently make special rolls for me, he made my favorite, california rolls for me many times, untill one day he convinced me to try a roll with unagi, it was some really delicious stuff... I moved back to california due to my mothers illness, sent him a letter once but never heard back from him, I think of him now everytime I eat Unagi, which is rarely cause unagi is expensive... But I think of him and wonder why such a great guy like him was able to go for so long without making any friends, I know there are allot of bigots in the south (this was in Tennesee) But I mean, he was such a quiet and calm and just really all around nice guy...

I ate Unagi a few weeks ago and Ive been beating myself up ever since, Because I have forgotten his name, the friendless man who was such a good friend to me when I had no friends either at the time, some morning after id get off work id go to hangout with him at his work and we would talk for hours, he loved talking about anything cause it helped him practice his english... I thought Id go and find out how to make Unagi myself so I could make it a regular thing, make unagi, make some sushi rolls with it, and eat it and remember my friend... But I cant even remember his name, but oh well, I dont suppose the name matters to much, its only a label that has nothing to do with who a person is, I will forever remember him for his kindnes and friendship, and If I can just find a how to guide somewhere on how to make Unagi, I will make it in honor of him every single time...

No comments: